Potato Chips

Potato Chips

I’ve previously stated on this blog that my love for salt and all things savory far exceeds my love for sweets.

Just ask my mother. I have been oft scolded over the past few decades of my life for stealing chips from her bags of potato chips.

I still steal from her bags of chips when I’m visiting them in Connecticut, though she doesn’t eat chips the way she used to. *sigh*

Potato Chips

Recently, a new underground shopping mall opened in the Columbus Circle subway station. Turnstyle is full of hip bakeries, juiceries, and restaurants. I commute through this subway stop two to three times a week, and at the end of my work day, as I walk past artisan grilled cheese sandwiches, freshly-fried miniature donuts, and fair trade cold brewed coffee …I still will go to the magazine vendor on the platform and buy my 50¢ bag of Utz potato chips.

…I just love potato chips. For me, choosing my all time favorite comfort food is a hard battle between them and macaroni and cheese. Maybe I’ll start crumbling chips on top of my mac and cheese! Hmmmmm…tempting

Potato Chips

Note: I ate about 90% of this entire batch of chips after photographing them. Bless my roommate Sally for tackling the other 10%. She saved me from myself. Ha!

Potato Chips

Potato Chips
(Makes approximately 4 – 5 cups of chips)
(Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit’s recipe for Crispiest Potato Chips)

Ingredients:

– 2 Russet potatoes, scrubbed and left unpeeled
– 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
– 4 cups vegetable oil
– Salt, to taste

Before We Get Started…

Though seemingly simple, this recipe took me almost two hours to complete from start to finish. There are many steps, so get prepared first:

1.) Have a large bowl ready to soak potato slices in after they have been sliced.

2.) Have paper towels or clean dish towels placed on two baking sheets after potatoes have soaked, then have paper towels or a clean dish towel available to pat them dry before they are fried.

3.) Have two baking sheets lined with paper towels prepped so potatoes can immediately be drained when removed from the oil; in lieu of baking sheets, wire racks will work.

4.) Having a cooking thermometer is key and recommended.

Directions:

1.) Slice potatoes to approximately 1/8″ thick with a knife or a mandolin. Place slices in a bowl filled with cold water and gently agitate with hands to remove starch from potatoes. Drain, refill bowl, and gently agitate slices until water runs clear. (i.e.: Majority of starch has been removed.) In the same bowl, cover the potatoes with cold water and add vinegar. Allow to sit for 30 minutes. Drain and place slices on towels on baking sheets. (See #2 on Before We Get Started) Pat dry.

2.) In a medium to large heavy-bottomed pot, clip cooking thermometer to pot, add oil. and bring to a temperature of 300°F. Working in batches, gently add and fry slices until golden brown on both sides, about 4 – 5 minutes per batch. Carefully remove slices from oil with slotted spoon or spatula and place on baking sheets. (See #3 on Before We Get Started) Season with salt or preferred seasoning(s).

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Potato Chips

    • seeksatiation says:

      Do itttttt! Haha! It’s worth the effort. Even though they are mercilessly fried, haha, I feel less guilt eating them homemade because I can adjust the salt as needed. Store-bought chips are just too loaded for me! 😝

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s