It is rare for me to go to the grocery store and be happy to find unripened avocados. I usually pitch an internal temper tantrum on nights when I’m picking up ingredients for dinner on my way home from work; there go my plans for avocados with my chicken / fried eggs / spiralized vegetable noodles / other hip Millennial dinner offerings.
That being said, an unripened avocado is your best friend when it comes to making this smoothie all it can be. We are all used to that tangy buttery flavor an avocado can have when we slice it on top of our salads, or when we make a big bowl of guacamole. However, the first time I made this smoothie a year ago, I was shocked at the subtly sweet flavor profile it carried, complete a slight melon note to it.
This smoothie is so thick, you’ll forget that it’s vegan and dairy-free! Full-fat canned coconut milk is a godsend when it comes to making creamy smoothies.
Be prepared for a unique flavor, in my opinion. It’s buttery, almost a little tangy, with a critic kick. The first sip may throw you off, but keep on drinking! You’ll be happy you finished it.
Coconut Avocado Lime Smoothie
– 1 14 oz. can full-fat coconut milk, shaken
– 1/2 to one whole avocado, unripened (See note in Before We Get Started…)
– Zest and juice of one lime
– 1 – 2 tablespoons sweetener of choice
– 4 ice cubes
– Coconut flakes, for garnish (optional)
Before We Get Started…
– I’ve made this recipe with 1/2 an avocado and a whole avocado. The whole avocado yields a thicker smoothie, while half still gives it a bulk. If a super creamy smoothie is not up your alley, reduce the amount of avocado to 1/2 and increase the amount of ice cubes until a desired consistency is achieved.
1.) Add coconut milk, avocado, lime juice, lime zest, sweetener, and ice cubes to a blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until thoroughly combined. Serve immediately, topping with coconut flakes, if desired.